BMX & MTB?!?!?!?!?

Need help wrenching? Wanna floss your skills? Tech stuff goes here.

Moderators: Taz, Fool

BMX & MTB?!?!?!?!?

Postby demo9 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 pm

ok. so what if a company did their homework on how to make a bike be both.(not at the same time of course). i have a friend with a DOC and i was lookin at his dropouts. i came up with an idea. if they drilled out the frame for a bmx axle and spaced it like a bmx bike and changed a little bit of geometry. Then for a mountain bike u have a bigger beefyer black piece.(if u didnt figure this out already i dont know what it is called) that would have hte spacing for a normal 12x135 mountain bike wheel. then if u threw a 80-100mm fork on it it would be a mountain bike. just a thought. Image
what kinda mean person put a "S" in the word lisp?
demo9
All-City

Re: BMX & MTB?!?!?!?!?

Postby demo9 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:05 pm

busted out paint for the real product.

demo9
All-City

Postby demo9 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:01 pm

no input?
demo9
All-City

Postby sokoloka » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:55 pm

demo9 wrote:no input?
I'm sure it could be done - other than possibly looking a little goofy and being kinda weighty.

You'd have to take some time to fine-tune the geo though, find a certain headangle that wouldn't suck having either a 26" wheel and an 80mm fork under it, or a straight up 20" wheel bmx fork under it.

How short you go in the seattube and overall chainstay length would be some other considerations. Theoretically riding a slammed 20" wheel would leave you with at least 3" of chainstay hanging out behind the axle as opposed to the usual 1/2" - 1" of the like, so pegging and grinding the beast might not be the best idea when it's in BMX mode.

So, yes, it could be done and is kind of a neat concept, but I've always believed that a tool designed for everything is not as excellent as a tool designed for one job and one job alone.
sokoloka
Burner

Return to Tech Stuff/Tuning