total n00b - need answers

All topics Trials related!!

Moderators: Taz, Fool

total n00b - need answers

Postby Al3xMa » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:32 pm

im new to trials, iv been riding an DJ bike for a while and want to get a "real" trials bike im thinking about building a stock. im 5 9 140 lbs. what tt length should i get, gearing? ( i want single speed via a singulator), what stem length, should i use trials spacific bars? what breaks--- are vees with booster enough or shud i get mech disks. i have a regualr ridged fork... will this be okay or will i need a trials spacific fork?

thanks for the input
Al3xMa
Burner

Postby mts » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:32 am

I can't say accurately on tt length as I'm 6'4" and so what works for me may not work for you. My Brisa runs about 22in centre to centre and that's pretty sweet.

Gearing is pretty important so I reckon the best way of choosing is to pick your crank length (either 165 or 170, both work well in my experience) and run a road cluster with a 22t or 24t granny ring. That way you can check out how you like different gears for different stuff i.e big rear wheel moves, precise stuff etc. Pick the gear you like best and then run it SS with a tensioner.

Stem length between 90-120mm works for most stock bikes in my experience, I run 90mm but it comes down to personal taste.

You can get away with standard 1.5in rise risers, well I do and I've never found anything I couldn't ride because I didn't have the "right" sort of bars.

The only brake to choose for trials in my mind is a Magura Hydro with some decent pads (Spanish Fly's, Plazmatics or the Koxx pad, whatever it's called). I reckon Magura's are so far ahead of any other brake for trials use, although some people do prefer the feel of a boosted V. Jeff Lenosky rode for years on basic Shimano V's with good pads and a booster. Now he uses Avid mech discs, but he's got freaky levels of skill so maybe don't go on what a pro uses.

The rigid fork you have should be fine to start out on, as long as it's not some suspension corrected one. Nice and low is the way to go for a trials fork.
When you are great, people often mistake candor for arrogance.
mts
Bomber

Postby Al3xMa » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:47 am

is anyone selling a trials frame or components?
Al3xMa
Burner

Postby bowhers » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:51 am

try www.observedtrials.net

you want 22-20 for gearing maybe 22-21 or 22-22, unless you get front freewheel cranks. Top tube length? Long. Depending on your style. Trials bikes are measured in WB and bb rise though. (all rear ends are as short as possible)
NL Bikes
bowhers
All-City

Postby antidis2000 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:28 am

the type of brakes you use depends on the frame you get.... if it comes with v-brake mounts use v-brakes, just make sure to set them up properly. if your frame has 4 bolt mag mounts use the hydro's. A disc on the front if you want, prolly not the best idea for the rear.

bars- whatever... wide

tt doesnt really matter- find a trials specific frame to learn on, people say longwr wheelbases make things easier (1080, 1100) i duno

and lenoski still uses v's on his trials bike i think
woosh
antidis2000
All-City

Return to Trials