impression of trials day 2

All topics Trials related!!

Moderators: Taz, Fool

impression of trials day 2

Postby rpl3000 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:51 pm

my ass hurts, my elbow hurts.......

i think i have to re-figure out how to tune V brakes after a 3 year hiatus. i know bowers says no to parallel linkage brakes. my new bike had xtr's on it. they dont seem that sloppy or anything but i did loose lock up a few times today. got to strengthen my hands i guess.

so i have a few questions

1) what pads to use?
2) tar on rims? where the hell do you buy tar? it has tar on the front and its loud but awesome.
3) i have a ground rim that came with my bike, use it or save it?
4) the rigid fork is kinda rought for learning, get a cheap 80mm xc fork (judy XC has steel uppers and steerer for 129$), tought it out on the rigid, something else?
5) how the hell do you bunnyhop this thing? i can hop 3 feet on my P1 no problem but i cant get this thing more than 6 inches off the ground.
unemployed.
anyone need a mechanical engineer? PM me.
rpl3000
Bomber

Postby bowhers » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 pm

the xtrs will work, but they will also wear out. If I were you I'd jsut ride them til they go and think about either an Avid Sd 7 or a new linkage system. They are replaceable, but I dont think they match up in terms of performance.
NL Bikes
bowhers
All-City

Re: impression of trials day 2

Postby boogenman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:51 am

Go find one of those hot melting pots/trailers at a commercial roof job, the tar comes in 50-100 pound blocks, break a hunk off. Keep the grind if you are using tar, I would re grind if they are slipping. There are many ways to grind a rim, I used a hacksaw for best results(takes long long time) I always liked the grind becasue it works when wet, many comps would run you in water, no grind on the rims and tar won't do shit.
Or get new rims and new pads.

www.trialsin.com

tim has lots o pads, he may even have some old plazmatic pads for your v-brakes, they hook up real good but don't last long at all.

Toughen up w/ the fork, suspension will make it even harder

You gotta j-hop that bitch or pedal kick it
boogenman
Kingpin

Postby bowhers » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 am

dont use tar, for the love of god, please grind your rim....
bowhers
All-City

Postby antidis2000 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:02 am

i used tar once for a day and a half before i threw the rim in the trash, which may have been a bit harsh consedering you Can get it off, but im lazy. Grind your rim and stick with the xtr's and xtr pads.
woosh
antidis2000
All-City

Postby rpl3000 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:44 pm

i think its got plazmatic?? pads on it now. will a grind eat those in a day?
i saw the vid on observed trials on how to grind so i'm going to give it a go this weekend.
unemployed.
rpl3000
Bomber

Postby boogenman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:41 pm

It depends on what Plazmatic pads they are, last I knew the latest version of plazmatic pads were to be used with out a grind.

Do you have a grind on the rims now? If the bike came without a grind I would go without grinding.
I don't really know I have not used rim brakes on any of my bikes for about 5 years now.
boogenman
Kingpin

Postby rpl3000 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:36 pm

i think i'm going to switch my levers to my speed dial 7's. right now it has SRAM 9.0's and i think that as a beginner i could use the extra leverage adjust of the SD's.

no, the rim on it now doesnt have a grind, but i have a ground sun mammoth that came with the bike. its funny i looked at it last night and only one side was ground??? i cant think of any reason for that.

i'm going to my parents this weekend and my dad's got an angle grinder so i figured why not? i watch the video from observers trials and i'm good with tools so i dont think i'll have any problem.

i think the plazmatic's are old style, everything on the bike is a bit dated. i do have some XTR pads though that i can use instead if the plaz's start to get eaten too much.

i figured out how to get the front end up for bunny hopping stuff. it seems that everything in trials requires a pedal pump. i was trying to pull up the from like on my FS and my street bike. not happening. a little kick to get the front up though i and get the back up about a foot and a half. the timing is a little wired

any advise on the grips? right now it has these thin ass condom grips. feels like holding the bar and my gloves actually slip on it so i have to go without them. whats the style? thicker or thin, i have some extra lock-on's i'm going to try this weekend. we'll see how that goes.

thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.
unemployed.
rpl3000
Bomber

Postby ihatemybike » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:28 am

boogenman wrote:you gotta j-hop that bitch or pedal kick it

J-HOP

Ha Ha Snicker Snicker ROFLMAO

Say Bunnyhop please, that's what it's called. J-Hop, Broco-Hop, etc are what the ghetto kids that don't know crap about bikes call bunnyhops.
HB
Azonic Steelhead - No Gears, No Suspension
GT Chucker 3.0 - Cheapest Freeride Made
Gack Trail Mod 26" - In Limbo
Huffy Tantrum - Don't know why it hasn't broke
Haro Mirra 360 - 16" Honda 50 of bikes
ihatemybike
Burner

Postby bowhers » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Just wait and get XTR levers, there is no point to running anything else. Save a bit longer than you would have for those crappy SD 7's and you will be way happier.

Grind your rims for trials it will make things better in just about every respect. The only reason not to grind your rims (besides discs) is because you are riding tons of street on it. The set up of that Brisa does not lend itself to street.

Plaz pads arent bad, I used them on my mod bike with a ground rim and had no trouble. Same pads are still being used by someone else now (on a ground rim)

Thinnish grips= better, whatever you are comfortable with though. Thin grips allow a much better and more precise feeling on the bars and where the front tire is. I use road bike tape because its super comfortable (i never use gloves) and I can make it as thick or thin as I please. It also never moves.
NL Bikes
bowhers
All-City

Postby MrPrime » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:32 pm

what is this grind your talking about?
hcor is like a journal for blackouts.
-bigteddy
MrPrime
All-City

Postby boogenman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:54 pm

grinding your rims with a grinder, hacksaw, sandpaper, ect ect...to make a rough braking surface.
Tar was used in the past but people would tend to over apply tar and the pads would stick, even with proper tar applied there would be little modulation.
Griding gives you a firm tight grip even when a tad wet.
boogenman
Kingpin

Postby bowhers » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:34 pm

only grind with an angle grinder medium grit is what most people use. And it doesnt matter how wet your rim gets, it will work just fine. Grind=good
NL Bikes
bowhers
All-City

Postby Scuba » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:10 am

bowhers wrote:only grind with an angle grinder medium grit is what most people use. And it doesnt matter how wet your rim gets, it will work just fine. Grind=good

yes, i agreeee
[url=www.nucycling.com]
[/url]
Scuba
495mtbcrew

Postby MrPrime » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:30 pm

so im assuming that just taking sand paper and working the rim all the scratchy hell wont work? lol.

I'll have to try it out when I get my new bike.
hcor is like a journal for blackouts.
-bigteddy
MrPrime
All-City

Postby Geoff » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:52 pm

MrPrime wrote:so im assuming that just taking sand paper and working the rim all the scratchy hell wont work? lol.

I'll have to try it out when I get my new bike.

nope, your brake pads will just buff it back smooth in 2 min.
Geoff
All-City

Postby Klymer » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:44 am

This is a can of worms but for bunny hopping you should probably play around with different stem lengths and angles, I've found this to be the single biggest factor affecting bunny hops. But that's just me, I could be wrong, it is a terrible tragedy.

I've posted this somewhere else but you can't go wrong checking out the FAQ on the Urban Assault Vault web page http://free-du.t-com.hr/trials/
Klymer
Toy

Return to Trials