Hcor.net is accepting donations

When topics are beaten to death, way off topic, or just plain old.

Moderator: Taz

Hcor.net is accepting donations

Postby Hcor » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:24 am

Hey all, just to let you know Hcor.net is accepting donations now so that we (Taz and I) can upgrade our current bandwidth limits and purchase new hardware for a co-located and dedicated server. Once we have settled into our new services, we will allow companies to pay to display their banner ads so we can let the site pay for itself. If you would like to help out, you can contribute donations via PayPal. I am also looking for hookups on screen printing for shirts/hoodies etc, stickers, whatever you think may help us...let me know. Thanks alot all!

http://www.paypal.com
the account name is hcor@optonline.net

Any help will be appreciated and will not be used to buy beer or Porn :P
Last edited by Hcor on Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful how you treat others, for you may develop a bad rash.
User avatar
Hcor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Taz » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:41 am

Just to give you a heads up on what we need to complete the server and get things running. So if you know of some cheap prices or something like that, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have everything to complete the server, minus a PCI video card (trying to find one for free cause it doesn't matter what it is), a hard drive, a 1U CPU cooler for socket A processors, and a 1U ATX server case (the most expensive piece). I'm going to be trying to buy the hard drive over the next week or so. With the hard drive I can start installing the OS and setting up all the server software. I have a feeling this will be a starter server, hopefully we will outgrow it and need a bigger/better one in the future!

We also need a host provider. I have been leaning toward www.jtlnet.com, same service that Ridemonkey is using. Their monthly fee for 1U of rack space is very reasonable ($35 a month, $100 setup one time fee); however, that only includes 5 gig of allowable transfer a month and I have a Very strong feeling that is not going to be enough, an extra 20 gig/month will be $50 more. So I'm entertaining sugestions for hosting services as well.


For you techy people, here will be the server specs:
900 mHz Duron
ECS K7S5A board
256 Crucial DDR
40 gig 7200 rpm IDE (IBM)

Ideally I would rather have a SCSI drive... but... can't afford on of those right now..
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:00 pm

for the stickers you might want to check out stickerguy.com ... he has the best prices for short runs... as little as $20 shipped for 250 stickers...
-Geoff
User avatar
Geoff
All-City
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: CT

Postby Taz » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:54 pm

Also want to say Thanks to everyone for giving us these growing pains! :salute:
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity

Ok

Postby Hcor » Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:18 pm

Thanks for the donations!! We have had 4 people donate so far and its greatly appreciated. Let everyone know!

Taz - I have a few video pci cards laying around. If you want I can send one right out to you. As for Hard Drive....we will want a nice chunk of space if we plan on having pic submittal/post capabilities in the near future. Good thing is that hard drives are cheap and can be added easily.

Geoff - Im gonna take a look at stickerguy. Zigzag and Shibby are looking into pricing as well. Thx!
Be careful how you treat others, for you may develop a bad rash.
User avatar
Hcor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ok

Postby Taz » Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:31 pm

Hcor wrote:Thanks for the donations!! We have had 4 people donate so far and its greatly appreciated. Let everyone know!

Taz - I have a few video pci cards laying around. If you want I can send one right out to you. As for Hard Drive....we will want a nice chunk of space if we plan on having pic submittal/post capabilities in the near future. Good thing is that hard drives are cheap and can be added easily.

Geoff - Im gonna take a look at stickerguy. Zigzag and Shibby are looking into pricing as well. Thx!


That's GREAT!

Yeah I somehow lost all my PCI Vid cards when I moved :x
The smallest one you got would be best.

As to the hard drive. I guess we can go for an 80 gig instead then. They are about $90. an IBM 120 gig is $135 though....

I wish I could find a co-location service that would be close to where I live. I'm going to call local ISP's and find out. That way system upgrades can be done by me.
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity

Re: Ok

Postby don » Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:39 pm

="Taz]
That's GREAT!

Yeah I somehow lost all my PCI Vid cards when I moved :x
The smallest one you got would be best.

As to the hard drive. I guess we can go for an 80 gig instead then. They are about $90. an IBM 120 gig is $135 though....

I wish I could find a co-location service that would be close to where I live. I'm going to call local ISP's and find out. That way system upgrades can be done by me.


Shit - $135 for a 120GB IBM HD @ 7200 rpms? Hcor is right HD are cheap - $1 a Gig
User avatar
don
All-City
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Red Bank, NJ

Postby seth399 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:28 pm

:salute: :beer:
Evil*e.thirteen*Kenda USA*Manitou*Rye airfield*AtomLab*VitaminWater*RD*FUNN
User avatar
seth399
NRJP
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: MA

Postby bb7ryder » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:31 pm

i've got a friend that owns a screen printing business. he could hook you up on the hoodies and shit. pm me if you want his email. they're based in philly and are a pretty big company btw.
User avatar
bb7ryder
All-City
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: New Hope, PA/RPI in Troy, NY

Postby Gutty » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:30 pm

:shock: :!:
User avatar
Gutty
All-City
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Convict fuck'n central

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:19 pm

i think www.activewebhosting.com might work for you. They give like unlimited bandwidth and storage space, the guy that runs it is cool, and it's super cheap.
User avatar
Anthony
Kingpin
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: golden, co

Postby Hcor » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:35 pm

retard wrote:i think www.activewebhosting.com might work for you. They give like unlimited bandwidth and storage space, the guy that runs it is cool, and it's super cheap.


Seems kinda backalley....I could be wrong, it just seems a little shady.
Be careful how you treat others, for you may develop a bad rash.
User avatar
Hcor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Anthony » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:46 pm

yeah the site does look very low budget, but trust me, he'll give you great service. a guy I knew that started www.digital5k.com used his service and that's how I found out about him. digital5k isn't up anymore though because he's running a pc review site now with the same host.
User avatar
Anthony
Kingpin
 
Posts: 3723
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: golden, co

Postby Taz » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:39 pm

retard wrote:yeah the site does look very low budget, but trust me, he'll give you great service. a guy I knew that started www.digital5k.com used his service and that's how I found out about him. digital5k isn't up anymore though because he's running a pc review site now with the same host.


what OS do they use?

their website doesn't list hardly anything about their service. I like to have lots of details before I sign up for a service
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity

Postby Mason » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:44 pm

Taz wrote:...and a 1U ATX server case (the most expensive piece). I'm going to be trying to buy the hard drive over the next week or so. With the hard drive I can start installing the OS and setting up all the server software.


Hey Taz,

One guy has come back to me so far on the chassis/PS. Here's what he's selected, let me know if this matches up:

"Chenbro 3131 RM114 1U Rackmount Case, 300W Power Supply (P4 Ready) w/ATX / Extended ATX (12" x 13"), External 1 x 5.25", External 1 x 3.5", Internal 2 x 3.5", 4 x 40mm fans in middle 1 x 40mm fan in rear, 43.5(H) x 430(W) x 559(D) Dimension. 1 year warranty
(Based on manufacture information)

RM114 1U Rackmount Case 300W Power Supply

Features

Removable fan bracket for installation of ATX or Extended ATX motherboard

Two 5.25-inch drive bays for maximum application capacity

Passive 32-bit or 64-bit riser card (optional not included)

Compatible with Intel PIII and P4 motherboards

Changeable I/O gaskets for most popular motherboards

Specifications

M/B type : ATX / Extended ATX (12" x 13")
Drive bays : External 1 x 5.25", External 1 x 3.5", Internal 2 x 3.5"
PSU type : Single 200W
Slot opening : 1 x standard PCI slot
Dimensions (mm) : 43.5(H) x 430(W) x 559(D)
Cooling fan : 4 x 40mm fans in middle 1 x 40mm fan in rear
Security design: Intrusion switch
Riser card (Optional not included): 32-bit or 64-bit"

Cost: $220

I'll keep forwarding them over to you as I get them...
User avatar
Mason
Burner
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

UPDATE - New Host provider!!!

Postby Hcor » Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:08 pm

Thanks to all of you that donated some of your hard working $$$$!!
We have applied these funds by switching to a faster host with alot more bandwidth. The forums will be moving over shortly...the only difference you may see is more speed!!! :D

Thanks again for the donations...they are greatly appreciated.

Donations are still being accepted to pay for our own dedicated server which we are building. More speed, stability, and space for pics and videos.

Thx for your support!
Be careful how you treat others, for you may develop a bad rash.
User avatar
Hcor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: UPDATE - New Host provider!!!

Postby don » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:06 pm

Hcor wrote:Thanks to all of you that donated some of your hard working $$$$!!
We have applied these funds by switching to a faster host with alot more bandwidth. The forums will be moving over shortly...the only difference you may see is more speed!!! :D

Thanks again for the donations...they are greatly appreciated.

Donations are still being accepted to pay for our own dedicated server which we are building. More speed, stability, and space for pics and videos.

Thx for your support!


Hcor and Taz - you guys should take a bit of the donations and treat yourself to some of your favorite tastiest brew. You deserve it!
User avatar
don
All-City
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Red Bank, NJ

Re: UPDATE - New Host provider!!!

Postby M.W. » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:19 pm

don wrote:
Hcor wrote:Thanks to all of you that donated some of your hard working $$$$!!
We have applied these funds by switching to a faster host with alot more bandwidth. The forums will be moving over shortly...the only difference you may see is more speed!!! :D

Thanks again for the donations...they are greatly appreciated.

Donations are still being accepted to pay for our own dedicated server which we are building. More speed, stability, and space for pics and videos.

Thx for your support!


Hcor and Taz - you guys should take a bit of the donations and treat yourself to some of your favorite tastiest brew. You deserve it!


Word.

I'll send some $$ your way when I get some (sorta broke right now...).

Damn, someone beat me to suggesting stickerguy.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
User avatar
M.W.
NRJP
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Not on Ridemonkey.

Re: UPDATE - New Host provider!!!

Postby grommet » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:28 pm

M.W. wrote:
don wrote:
Hcor wrote:Thanks to all of you that donated some of your hard working $$$$!!
We have applied these funds by switching to a faster host with alot more bandwidth. The forums will be moving over shortly...the only difference you may see is more speed!!! :D

Thanks again for the donations...they are greatly appreciated.

Donations are still being accepted to pay for our own dedicated server which we are building. More speed, stability, and space for pics and videos.

Thx for your support!


Hcor and Taz - you guys should take a bit of the donations and treat yourself to some of your favorite tastiest brew. You deserve it!


Word.

I'll send some $$ your way when I get some (sorta broke right now...).

Damn, someone beat me to suggesting stickerguy.


Like wise guys. Treat yourself's to fine brew and I'll send you off some dough or some RAM or something.
User avatar
grommet
All-City
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm

Re: Hcor.net is accepting donations

Postby endo » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:40 am

Taz,
What parts do you still need?
I have Hd's vid cards ram etc........
I'd be happy to send 'em to you.
Let me know.
"the search for the perfect pint should take a lifetime." Thomas Jafferson
endo
Toy
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:00 am

Postby Taz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:51 am

Right now we are in need of some RAM. but has to be DDR.

We have 768MB, but need more. I'm wanting to add another 512 to the pile to make it 1.2GB of ram. Man webservers eat RAM like candy.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity

Re: Hcor.net is accepting donations

Postby jessejaxon » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:00 am

i can barely keep my computer updated but my best friend owns a screenprinting company and can 99% of the time get shirts/hoods anything for less than almost anybody.i will help w/ that if needed
thanx
User avatar
jessejaxon
Bomber
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:00 pm

Re: Hcor.net is accepting donations

Postby endo » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:42 am

Taz,
email me i have some ddr I can donate just need to know what speed.
i have 5 or 6 256 sticks laying around
"the search for the perfect pint should take a lifetime." Thomas Jafferson
endo
Toy
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Hcor.net is accepting donations

Postby SIKOCYCLES » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:18 pm

Do you need a HD give me an idea of what you want and I will see what I can get
_______________
| /....... | ..... \ |
[]|_______|_______|[]
\/____|=====|____\/
[_:_\O|||||||O/_:_]
|##) $\U_____U/$ |##|
[##] ..................[##]
[##] ..................[##]
User avatar
SIKOCYCLES
Bomber
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 am
Location: CT

Postby Taz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:38 pm

Right now we are not in need of a hard drive, but I appreciate the offer!

But I may be in the future. I'm possibly going to add another server to run more stuff for hcor, primarily mail, dns, etc. Stuff that is in the background of the site and take it off the webserver.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
User avatar
Taz
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7267
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Door step of insanity


Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron