Hcor and Crew B.C. Road Trip…East meets West

Whistler, and the greater B.C. area!

Moderators: Taz, Fool

Hcor and Crew B.C. Road Trip…East meets West

Postby Hcor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:56 pm

Yesterday we crossed the U.S. border from B.C. into Washington. We were headed back to Joe’s spot in Bellingham to finish out the last couple days of a truly epic trip. I am now in the air somewhere over the United States, destination=lovely and scenic Newark, NJ. I almost don’t know where to start. Right now much of this trip is a blur due to ten solid days/nights of extreme partying and riding. It seemed like it was never going to end.

Adrian and I flew out of Newark, NJ on Thursday Aug 21, we met up with Atom in Seattle where Joe Vissali (JoeCool), was waiting for us. We packed into his truck and headed to his crib in Bellingham Washington less than a 2-hour drive North. We arrived in B-ham unloaded all our gear and bike boxes, and immediately headed out to the local bars. We hit the first bar around 11pm, which was 2am our time. After the 5 ½ hour flight and then cramped drive to Joe’s house we were tired, but we couldn’t resist kick starting our trip into high gear right away. As we walked into the first bar, Slayer was cranking on the jukebox and cute girls were smiling at us. It was going to be a good trip. We ended up closing the Royal around 3am, which was damn late since we were still running on Eastern time…which brought us home around 7am our time.

We ended up waking up early anyway, and made our way down to the garage to build the bikes. We took some Advils and wiped the crust out of our eyes and assembled the bikes in no time, and to make sure everything was cool, Joe’s roommate Bobby lead us up into the Woods on some trails behind their place to work out any problems with the bikes. This was the first time I had seen the woods of the Pacific Northwest. Sick!!…We were only in Joe’s back yard and we were in the dense dark North Shore style woods we had only seen in pics and video. The trail opened up to a small cove surrounded by 20-30 foot cliffs that you can jump off into clean clear water. This looked like something out of a movie and it was right in Joes backyard…. we were definitely impressed. Then Bobby took us up to a small trail gap that Atom and I were happy to hit a couple of times…we then headed back to the house to prepare for our trip into B.C. After some problems getting Joe’s cranks fixed, we loaded up and headed for Whistler where we were to meet up with the rest of our East Coast Squad…Jay and Anthony. We couldn’t believe we were less than a few hours away from some of the best riding in the world.

As luck would have it, the greater B.C. area from the North Shore/Vancouver all the way up past Whistler into Squamish, was having a severe drought and while fires were raging in Kamloops, the rest of B.C. was in a state of extreme fire danger. We had high hopes that after riding Whistler for a few days, the sky would open up, dump rain on the area and lower the fire danger so we could ride all of our planned spots. Well the rain never came, and all the areas started closing. It was just our luck that when we finally make it to B.C., probably the most wet, dank, lush areas in North America, we are greeted with drought and fire danger. Who would of ever thought that on a riding trip to Whistler and the North Shore that we would be praying for rain!

The ride from Bellingham to Whistler was amazing. The scenery up highway 99 is incredible and we were on sensory overload as we cruised the mountains. We were amped, the trip went quickly and before we knew it we saw the first glimpse of Whistler/Blackcomb. Lots of oohs and aahs happening. We just wanted to park this damn truck and go destroy the trails. We checked into the Coastal Whistler Hotel to find that Jay and Anthony had arrived there the night before. The hotel was more than we expected and they gave us an amazing deal on rooms thanks to the fine folks at Intrawest and Camilla Say from the hotel. We squared away our bags, threw on some gear, and headed up to the lifts for the extended play evening hours at the bike park.

We had a great first day of riding. Whistler Bike Park is top notch and every trail is a lot of fun. The terrain is incredibly varied and suitable for all rider levels. Aside from the conditions being a little too dry, at least the weather was beautiful. We got our feet wet quick with some runs on A-line, then immediately hit up and cleaned Clown Shoes and Joyride. The next couple of days we just ripped on every trail we could, took some footage and partied our Asses off in the village at night. Saturday night was a nutty one at Garfinkels, as a few of us stumbled back to our rooms in the wee hours of the morning. The next day Dave Kelly from the Bike Park hooked us up with Tom, Marty and BT for a guided tour/ride of the expansion terrain from the peak. This was a truly epic ride. The view from the top was out of hand, and the riding was even better. It all started with a an all out high speed fire road run, which led us down to one of the trailheads where the real fun began. Deep dark woods, redwood and pine trees rising into the sky creating a canopy high above us. The conditions were fresh, loamy, and soft. The trails were very flowy and technical single track, lots of tight turns, roots, and rocks, small drops and unfinished ladder bridges across gullies and streambeds. These sections were spotted with areas that opened up out of the trees onto some steep rock slab rollers, chutes then back into the woods again for more ripping single track. At one point about midway down, the trail opened up to a wide-open section of mountain where the trail straightened out and sent you down full speed into a choice. Choice one was a huge step up to small section of trail that lead to a nice rock launch/drop. Choice two was a huge hip jump, which is featured on the big banner picture down in the Village. It’s hard to put this into words, which is why we had the helmet cam going the entire trip down. All I can say is that ride was truly amazing, and everyone is in for a treat when it officially opens for next season. We are extremely thankful for all the help and hookups thrown our way by the folks at Intrawest, The Coast Whistler Hotel and the Whistler Bike Park.

We met up with some cool kids from B.C. Max and Josh, who pretty much became a permanent fixture of our group for the remainder of our stay in Whistler. Max ripped it up on Anthony’s Brooklyn while he wasn’t riding and took pics and vid for us when he was. Ben Cashman (BenWA) and Bobby came up from Bellingham to hang and ride with us for a couple days and Bobby was cool enough to take Adrian back to the airport since he had to leave on Tuesday. Adrian took off with a ton of great memories of our trip and it felt like we were just getting started! We also ran into a couple of Mountain Creek locals in the bike park! Joe and Josh were out there on a Freeride tour and were representing with Diablo shirts. We took some runs together and I think they headed back home the next day. Good to see you guys! We met up with a few guys from the forum as well. We rode with Piledriver quite a bit, and we met up with SR for a quick hello. A few others approached me and introduced themselves as well. It was good to see that Hcor.net is reaching people on the West Coast and Canada as well.

We decided to stay in the village for the remainder of the trip due to the fire hazards and locked down a nice condo style room with a balcony over looking the village in the Crystal Lodge. The next couple of days we hit up Pemberton which is about a half hour North of Whistler Mountain. We were on a mission to hit up a trail called Gravitron. The rumors about this trail had us amped. Our shuttle consisted of about a 20 minute drive up the mountain to a closed gate. From that gate we pushed our bikes and equipment roughly 2 ½ to 3 steep rocky miles up to the top. It seemed like we died, were sent to hell, and our punishment consisted of pushing those bikes and equipment up steep rocky fire road for the rest of eternity. Needless to say, we earned this ride down. I even had Anthony film us pushing up the hill in utter misery but he managed to press pause instead of record and missed the whole shot, thanks a lot Animal! J. The ride down was worthy. It was damn dry but the trail was crazy fun. Some pretty techie woodwork and some real good natural terrain. Then it got steep. Plattekill has nothing on this trail…we were up to our asses in steeps and loving and hating every second of it. Some of these sections you were using every bit of your bike skills just to keep on the trail. A slight miscalculation could send you off the side of the cliff or a very long ways down into rocks and trees. We were definitely in a heightened state of self-preservation at times. “Don’t look down…just STFU and ride” was my motto for the day and it did me well. The next day we found the trail “Cop Killa”. This time we were able to park at the trailhead. We still had a bit of a hike, but was a breeze after the Previous days mission. Cop Killa was a a good trail as well with a decent mixture of steep, rooty, and rocky terrain. One of the biggest steepest slabs and chutes we had ever seen were looming in front of us. Joe hit it up the slab with Atom following shortly after. I wasn’t feeling it yet and opted to film this one and take a raincheck on the roller. I should have banged it out…shortly after that I hit an almost vertical slab that got my blood pumping for the sick Chute that lay ahead. The trail was super steep and very loose due to the dangerously dry conditions, this would make this next section insanely hard. We came upon a nasty steep chute that has been featured in some bike vids. This was a steep crevice that once you entered…. you were in it. There was no turning back on this sucker. Anthony decided to climb up a rock face high above the chute to get a better look, lost his footing, and began to slide off a cliff. He never said a word as he slowly slid to an almost guaranteed trip to the hospital at least. I’m like bro…your falling!! Grab my arm!! Since I had nothing to hold onto I was slowly sliding as well. Anthony grabbed my arm, and Adam ran over grabbed a tree and Jay and we made a hand chain and pulled each other up. Phew…we got away with one that time. We ended up taking “Cop Killa” down to a trail called Bob Gnarly, where a few of us nailed some decent sized ladder and rock drops, a big bowl style berm and a small pedal to the van. Mission accomplished…no injuries, good footage, time to party. Back to Whistler.

We hit up Whistler Bike Park some more, took some great footage and pics, and partied non-stop. We then headed to Squamish for some sick runs, but found out they had just closed down the whole area due to fire danger. This was the killer…most of the spots we had on our radar were now closed, off limits, or in flames. We finished our last few days slaying Whistler. Sunday came and Big Jay and Anthony were heading home. They packed up their rental van and headed out with some great memories and a ton of great pictures. Joe, Atom and I then headed back to Washington for some local trail riding and some dirt jumping.

The ride back down 99s was even better than the ride up. It was a sunny and cloudless day, which made the scenery even more amazing. We shot some more scenic pics and vid on the way back, and we stopped off in Deep Cove for some lunch and a visit to the infamous Deep Cove Bike Shop. We checked out all the hot gear, and sweet bikes. We got a nice close up inspection of the new Marzocchi 888 fork, rapped with the shop guys for a bit, picked up some DC shirts and hoodies, grabbed a few bike vids, and hit the road again. We crossed the border back into the U.S. with no problems. We arrived back at Joe’s house in Bellingham and rested a bit. Joe cooked up some top notch steaks, which we washed down with some “Fat Tire ale” while watching all the latest Freeride videos lounging on the couch. We decided to stay in that night and let ourselves recover slightly from the days before. The next day we headed out to some local trails on Chuckanutt Mountain outside of B’ham. Nothing too crazy, just fast fun flowy single track through the woods that lead out to a long 40-50mph fire road which Joe was ripping manuals down at full speed around the corners. I wish I would have had my cam for that…. it would have been sick footage. From there we took a 30-40 minute drive towards the base of Mt.Baker to some sweet dirt jumps in a town called Glacier. This was a hot spot built by locals and the jumps were sweet. Small beginner jumps to big 25-foot dubs, all ride able even on a full DH bike. We sessioned the jumps a bit and then the Widow Maker line threw me a nice one. I was flowing the 3 pack, went over the big 20 footer smooth as could be and somehow the last hit bucked the rear of the bike up, my front wheel came down on the top and I was thrown about 16 feet out from about 10 feet up and slammed hard. The tuck and roll worked well and it saved me from some serious damage. A few bumps and bruises and a set of bent handlebars ended my Dirt jump session for the day. But I was happy…we got it on film. We filmed Joe hitting up some more jumps then called it a day. From there we took the road up Mt. Baker and took some video. Mt. Baker looks insane, the whole top is a glacier still covered in snow and ice and is insanely burly and steep. I might bring my Snowboard there this winter if I’m feeling suicidal.

The next morning I broke down the bike and packed it away for the trip home. I got all my gear and bags together, loaded up the truck and Joe, Atom and I went to breakfast. The ride to Seattle airport was filled with stories of our trip and our plans to do it again as soon as possible. Atom was staying out there with nothing but his bike a pocketful of savings, and a dream of leaving within easy reach of some of the best riding in the world. They dropped me off at the airport, we had our quick goodbyes, and they headed into Seattle to chill for a bit.

I am of course leaving out plenty of the details…Whistler is a lot like Vegas in a lot of ways. “What happens in Whistler stays in Whistler”…hehe. I could write a book on the events that took place in the evenings, but I will leave it to you to go there and make your own stories. If you ever thought about hitting up B.C. and Whistler, make it a priority. It is truly something you don’t want to miss out on. Whatever you do, make it happen. It took quite a bit of convincing to get Adrian and Atom to get with the program and make this trip with me and they are certainly happy they went. This was truly an epic adventure even with the unlucky fire situation. What a trip! I’m already thinking about the next one!
Be careful how you treat others, for you may develop a bad rash.
Hcor
Site Admin

Postby Buetang » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Damn dude, good write up!

Once again, wish I had been there...

Maybe next time.
fookie
Buetang
Kingpin

Postby spincrazy » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:31 pm

You're a mother#@$%er

8)
Smoke cigarettes
spincrazy
Burner

Re: Hcor and Crew B.C. Road Trip…East meets West

Postby Acadian » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:42 pm

Hcor wrote:Whistler is a lot like Vegas in a lot of ways. “What happens in Whistler stays in Whistler”…hehe. I could write a book on the events that took place in the evenings, but I will leave it to you to go there and make your own stories.

*sight*....amen to that!!

great write up Jon!!!
Acadian
Ms. Hcor-net

Postby narlus » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:49 pm

excellent glimpse into yr whistler trip. thanks for putting that up, and am looking forward to the vid(s).
Yuppie wrote:Flames make everything faster, stronger, and better.
narlus
Dog House

Postby sean » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:54 pm

awesome write up
sean
Kingpin

Postby Josh » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:17 pm

Great write-up... whistler was definatly amazing. The trails are so well built and so much fun, theres every type of trail you could ever want. It really is like mountain bike heaven. It was such a coincidence that me and Joe ran into Hcor and those guys, I guess it really is a small world.
Cant wait to head out there next summer

Josh
Josh
Toy

Postby Fool » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:22 pm

Great writeup Jon.
Don't worry, be happy.
Fool
Janitor

Postby DH40 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:18 pm

Wow that was really well-written...the enthusiasm really comes through.

I just hope you weren't all raw-doggin it in your Bad Idea Jeans! :twisted:
DH40
Burner

Postby Shawn_TerraLogic » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:51 pm

Hcor:
We are extremely thankful for all the help and hookups thrown our way by the folks at Intrawest, The Coast Whistler Hotel and the Whistler Bike Park.

hmmm. I wonder who got you the hook ups? :lol:
Shawn_TerraLogic

Postby sub6 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:28 pm

dude. Fuckin' KILLER writeup. I can't wait to see the vid from that trip.

I'm goin next summer as a graduation present to myself, it's gonna be slick.
XXL
sub6
Kingpin

comparing Plattekill

Postby chezewyz » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:01 pm

The ride down was worthy. It was damn dry but the trail was crazy fun. Some pretty techie woodwork and some real good natural terrain. Then it got steep. Plattekill has nothing on this trail?we were up to our asses in steeps and loving and hating every second of it. Some of these sections you were using every bit of your bike skills just to keep on the trail. A slight miscalculation could send you off the side of the cliff or a very long ways down into rocks and trees. We were definitely in a heightened state of self-preservation at times.

Nice to hear that someone from the East actually recognizes that Plattekill is NOT the hypertechnical superdifficult place that some people think. A few years ago, I had some debates on MTBR.com with Eastern folks who swore that Plattekill crushes every other DH when it comes to technical difficulty. They couldn't believe anything tougher existed. Cripes, even the lower-difficulty trails of Nelson BC would make a Pkill rider shyte his/her pants.

Excellent report! Thanks!
chezewyz
Toy

Postby Jared » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:50 pm

wow...that got my adrenaline pumping, i want to go up there and RIDE!!!!
Jared
All-City

Postby atom » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:45 pm

good writeup. that about sums it up! amazing trip. BC rules. im almost teary eyed.... sniff sniff.
peace love and harmony.
atom
Kingpin

Re: comparing Plattekill

Postby atom » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:48 pm

chezewyz wrote:
Nice to hear that someone from the East actually recognizes that Plattekill is NOT the hypertechnical superdifficult place that some people think. A few years ago, I had some debates on MTBR.com with Eastern folks who swore that Plattekill crushes every other DH when it comes to technical difficulty. They couldn't believe anything tougher existed. Cripes, even the lower-difficulty trails of Nelson BC would make a Pkill rider shyte his/her pants.

Excellent report! Thanks!

no necessarily. Id say that platty is just as steep and technical as anything Ive ridden over here yet. The difference is that platty is like 1/3 of what these mountains are. So the trails are a helluva lot shorter. A 5 minute run at platty is like a 20-25 minnute run out here. Same tech, same steep.... just alllllllot longer.
peace love and harmony.
atom
Kingpin

Postby tbiker615 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:36 pm

How long are the lift rides, if the mtns are so much taller? Are the trails marked diamond, double diamond and even triple diamond?
Timmay, Timmay, Live It Loud, Timmay!!!
tbiker615
All-City

Postby atom » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 pm

i just read this again. Its been 3 years since this trip and I still think about it on a daily basis. I stayed out there for over another month in b'ham and BC w/ Joe. It is, to this day, the best time Ive ever had in my life. These past 3 years have been long and boring and uneventful. The call of the PNW haunts me!!!!
peace love and harmony.
atom
Kingpin

Postby sokoloka » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:07 pm

atom wrote:The call of the PNW haunts me!!!!
Me too. That's why i can't wait to finish this college nonsense and get my ass back out there.
sokoloka
Burner

Postby Session77R3 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Awesome write-up. I'm def. going within the next couple of years.
RockyMountainBikes/KendaTires/TroyLeeDesigns/661
Session77R3
Burner

Postby atom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Its been 5 years since I rode a bike in whistler. I finally got to do it again this August. I only had 1 full day of riding b/c I was actually there to get married. That one day of riding has been better than any other ride Ive been on in the last 5 years.

I rented a demo 8 that was in less-than-great condition. I was bottoming the boxxer on everything. It really made a-line not fun b/c the bike felt so unpredictable. I stuck mostly to the natural/stunts trails. I hit the whistler DH, schleyer, joyride, freight train, some other runs at the top. I was exhausted. tired and had a blast.

BC rules.
peace love and harmony.
atom
Kingpin

Postby SocialOutcast » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Great write up.....I finally made it out this year, the park/area is unreal. Cannot wait to go next year!
SocialOutcast
Bomber

Return to Whistler & B.C.