Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Killing it in the streets and Styling in the parks...? This is the spot.

Moderators: Taz, Fool

Postby CreeP » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:12 pm

M.W. wrote:
I currently ride a 24" wheeled, 1speed, rigid bike. Most people would claim that it isn't a Mountain Bike. I'd hardly disagree.

me too, but you guys would shout chew me out if you found out i used a disc brake for street

[quote=mw]
Curved toptubes = dumb. If you want more clearance, lower the tube.
SHOX STAYS = dumb. If anyone didn't realize this in the 90s when it was dumb on XC bikes, then I don't even know what to say.
Over Overbuilding (to steal a term from 99-ish Kona) = dumb. People can make bikes that are fairly light and reasonably designed that don't break. Making it all gnarly overbuilt just to make some douchebag feel good because his bike has a lot of gussets is stupid, and pointless.
[/quote]

this is what i'm getting at by saying "not my thing" and calling you conservative. There are different kinds of riding out there, and different kinds of riders. Some people simply need more frame. The Scratch in short was not meant as a gimmick, honestly. I feel weird defending Pippin's strange ideas, but you really are being unfair.

[quote=mw]
What I can't stand is when companies just steal a bunch of gimmicks that people used in the 90s, and recycle them as being the greatest idea for this new riding style when they're really just a bunch of crap that was proven to be pointless 8 years ago. I also can't f**king stand that mountainbikers are taking on BMX tricks and so on, but feel the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to bikes. Doing a bunch of different shit, just for the sake of being different, is bad design. Just because something doesn't look flashy, doesn't mean it's not good. Most times, the simplest way is the best way. [/quote]

i take issue with you slapping a 'just for the sake of different' on everything. I've got a beef personally with the aparent lack of imagination in bmx engineering; and while i take issue with some design choices used in analogous situations in mtb design i applaud the effort.

[quote=mw]I hardly take myself seriously at all. I just get offended when I see how this sport hasn't changed in f**king 12 years. It's still full of companies that are selling people bikes to make them feel better about themselves, instead of bikes that are the best bike possible. You don't f**king need shock absorbing stays on a street/park/dirt bike. They're going to make no f**king difference at all. It's just gimmickery that they use to make people want it, instead of just using the fact that the company and product are good.[/quote]

bull. i wrote a whole long thing trying to explain why but the short and long of it is: it's all riding people in the industry and anything that seems gimmicky to one person was probably produced with the aim of solving a problem someone finds to be a real pain in the ass. Case in point Nemesis dropouts, to me big overweight gimmick, to someone who grinds on the right and plans to use a deraileur (what for ? :wink: ) occasionally, and thinks dropouts should be very simple- godsend.

i think you're far too hard on everybody. the Problem with the bike industry isn't gimmickry (and it exists to a much greater extent in lower regions of the market) but distributors :P

"mental jugde" i like that
"or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people it unlocks their death"

-caboose
CreeP
All-City

Re: Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Postby seth399 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:05 pm

dir, anyone who rides that frame does THE DEVILS BIDDING!! YES SATAN AS IN THE GUY WHO HATES NICE PEOPLE AND HAS A PITCH FORK AND TELLS GOD HE'S A JERK!!! AHGHHGGGGGGG
Evil*e.thirteen*Kenda USA*Manitou*Rye airfield*AtomLab*VitaminWater*RD*FUNN
seth399
NRJP

Postby M.W. » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:19 am

seth399 wrote:dir, anyone who rides that frame does THE DEVILS BIDDING!! YES SATAN AS IN THE GUY WHO HATES NICE PEOPLE AND HAS A PITCH FORK AND TELLS GOD HE'S A JERK!!! AHGHHGGGGGGG

You're more or less correct.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
M.W.
NRJP

Postby seth399 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:17 pm

thank you my friend
Evil*e.thirteen*Kenda USA*Manitou*Rye airfield*AtomLab*VitaminWater*RD*FUNN
seth399
NRJP

Postby M.W. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:11 am

I'd just like to point out, almost three years later, that I was totally right in this thread.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
M.W.
NRJP

Previous

Return to Urban/Park/DJ