CBGBs final shows

Music Discussion...Try to keep it real. No Bon Jovi please!

Moderators: Taz, Fool

CBGBs final shows

Postby Fool » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Image

Bad Brains the day after.
Don't worry, be happy.
User avatar
Fool
Janitor
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Pretty fuckin' far from OK

Postby deadatbirth » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:18 pm

a sad sad day in punk rock history.......
i dont hate you. i hate everyone
User avatar
deadatbirth
All-City
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Lost in PA.....

Postby live2ride » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:28 am

CBGB's will live on forever in our hearts.



rumor has it that the last day it's open... Patti Smith is playing... she was like one of those punk-rock legends who started at CBGB's...


I did a punk-rock research report back in 8th grade and CBGBs was probly one of the biggest parts of it because 1/2 of the bands started out there... lol
:-(
Live to ride.




This sport is just too damn fun to not go whenever your life permits.
User avatar
live2ride
Tagger
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Dirty Jersey.

Postby deadatbirth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:22 pm

live2ride wrote:CBGB's will live on forever in our hearts.



rumor has it that the last day it's open... Patti Smith is playing... she was like one of those punk-rock legends who started at CBGB's...


I did a punk-rock research report back in 8th grade and CBGBs was probly one of the biggest parts of it because 1/2 of the bands started out there... lol
:-(

yup she is playing w/
Lenny Kaye
Jay Dee Daugherty
Tony Shanahan
User avatar
deadatbirth
All-City
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Lost in PA.....

Postby M.W. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 am

Quite honestly, who cares?

That place hasn't been relevant in ages, so why keep it around just so that people can go take pictures out front on their big nostalgia trip. It's over. The CBGB scene was over a long time ago. Grassroots punk rock isn't going to suddenly have a resurgence at CBGB. It has moved on to other venues, and so should everyone else.

I mean, f**k, I guarantee that I love the Ramones more than probably anyone who will read/reply to this, and I still can't think of any reason that I should give a shit other than that now I can't go take a cheesy "I've been there" picture out front.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
User avatar
M.W.
NRJP
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Not on Ridemonkey.

Postby Fool » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 pm

M.W. wrote:Quite honestly, who cares?

That place hasn't been relevant in ages, so why keep it around just so that people can go take pictures out front on their big nostalgia trip. It's over. The CBGB scene was over a long time ago. Grassroots punk rock isn't going to suddenly have a resurgence at CBGB. It has moved on to other venues, and so should everyone else.

I mean, f**k, I guarantee that I love the Ramones more than probably anyone who will read/reply to this, and I still can't think of any reason that I should give a shit other than that now I can't go take a cheesy "I've been there" picture out front.


First of all, OH MY GOD THANK YOU JEEBUS FOR SENDING MW BACK FROM OUTER SPACE.

Second of all, you're right. That's exactly what happened. Other than the final shows they had there, none of which I bothered going to, CBGBs had been just another small venue for a bunch of bands that no one but the band's friends came to see. But I guess that what punk and CBGBs was back, well, before the 'heyday'. Just another small club.

Either way, maybe in a year from now I'll take a picture of the giant, douchebag, fishbowl, luxury condo building that has gone up in it's stead, where those same nostalgic punk rockers are moving their ames chairs and flatscreen televisions up 30 floors over where 20 years earlier jello biafra screamed in their faces to bring attention to the end of the American dream.
Don't worry, be happy.
User avatar
Fool
Janitor
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Pretty fuckin' far from OK

Postby qualude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:51 pm

I'll tell ya why you should care. Not every band that is starting out can play at Irving Plaza or Bowery. Afternoon Matinee shows bring out new talent, for those that are looking for it, and can give you a better impression of the band than a recording on MySpace. Small venues are the birthplace of new music movements, and somewhere as important to the punk rock/rock culture as CB's should be remembered fondly, and recognized as an institution.
And I did get to go the the Bad Brains/Bouncing Souls/Wide Eyes show, and the place rocked.
Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!
-Eric Cartman
User avatar
qualude
All-City
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:00 am
Location: The County of Kings

Postby Fool » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:22 pm

So, exactly how high was H.R.?
Don't worry, be happy.
User avatar
Fool
Janitor
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Pretty fuckin' far from OK

Postby M.W. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:20 pm

qualude wrote:I'll tell ya why you should care. Not every band that is starting out can play at Irving Plaza or Bowery. Afternoon Matinee shows bring out new talent, for those that are looking for it, and can give you a better impression of the band than a recording on MySpace. Small venues are the birthplace of new music movements, and somewhere as important to the punk rock/rock culture as CB's should be remembered fondly, and recognized as an institution.


Places that exist as much to milk their own legacy as to be actual venues don't contribute to a scene all that much.

Go to the knitting factory, or the punk nights at desmond's tavern, etc etc.

Obviously CBGB will be remembered fondly and recognized for what it is/was, but at this point losing it is really not much worse than losing any other venue would be. This is the problem with punk rock: everything is all about looking back at 77 and going on about how everything now sucks.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
User avatar
M.W.
NRJP
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Not on Ridemonkey.

Postby M.W. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Fool wrote:CBGBs had been just another small venue for a bunch of bands that no one but the band's friends came to see.


It might not be what you're into, but NYC/NJ have a real good thing going on right now. I'd kill to be living out there to be part of that scene. Everyone is super friendly, and there are several really solid bands.
www.imfour.org <- ARS YOU!?
Peter says:
it was a really fun session/jam/gathering
Peter says:
even though I was the only one in bright clothes
Peter says: vinyl is the best thing since underpants
Peter says: My name isn't p-diddy grau-dub you ass
User avatar
M.W.
NRJP
 
Posts: 7051
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Not on Ridemonkey.

Postby Fool » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:41 pm

M.W. wrote:
Fool wrote:CBGBs had been just another small venue for a bunch of bands that no one but the band's friends came to see.


It might not be what you're into, but NYC/NJ have a real good thing going on right now. I'd kill to be living out there to be part of that scene. Everyone is super friendly, and there are several really solid bands.


Oh, yeah, I get that. I have friends on both the music and venue sides here, especially in Brooklyn. Alas, I am old and overemployed and undertimed and perpetually tired so I just hear about it all and rarely go out to catch new bands. CMJ starts this week too.
Don't worry, be happy.
User avatar
Fool
Janitor
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Pretty fuckin' far from OK

Re: CBGBs final shows

Postby atom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 pm

M.W. ever been to CBs? or the Knitting Factory? or any venue in NYC for that matter? CBs was something different. It was in your face, shoulder to shoulder...right up to the bitter end. It fought to retain that feeling and attitude throughout its 33 years and it did just that. It wasnt over. It was never over. There were shows going on there all the time, and b/c you were unfamiliar with the bands that played there doesnt mean the place was dead...and is proof that it retained its roots as an outlet for people in the tri-state area to check out new underground acts. Dont blame CBs for not being a relevant venue in todays "modern" punk rock scene... the music, message and attitude are nothing like what it was. Punk is too popular and mainstream for its own good. CBs cant handle the pop culture crowds - which is todays punk rock. CBs didnt mark the end of 1 era, it marked the end of several eras and still remained. There have been plenty of venues like CBs that came and went. The rock hotel, abc no rio, wetlands, coney island high, gas station, tramps, etc. CBs outlived all of them...now all the small venues of NYC are gone. Seeing a band right in your face is a f**k of a difference then seeing them on a 5' tall stage, behind barracades and security.

CBs wansnt releveant to just punk rock either....metal and hardcore and a few other genres have their history in that place.

For someone like you, younger, living across the continent, probably having never been and on the outside looking in... maybe your argument is valid....but for people who live here...who have been going to shows there since they got into punk, metal, hardcore be it 10, 15,20 or 30 years ago might have 1000 stories about times at cbs, what bands they saw, and shows that are coming up. It means a lot to us... I am sad to see the place go. NY is suffering enough with its lack of small venues...now it lost the original.
peace love and harmony.
User avatar
atom
Kingpin
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:00 pm
Location: Strong Island, NY

Postby qualude » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:34 pm

I am determined to get the wood from my "place" on the floor of CB's. And well put Atom. In my old age, I get all curmudgeonly about people who are young and don't really have an open opinion about others thoughts and nostalgic feelings.
Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!
-Eric Cartman
User avatar
qualude
All-City
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:00 am
Location: The County of Kings

Postby qualude » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36 pm

Fool wrote:So, exactly how high was H.R.?


Just high enough. Actually did a full set! I guess on Monday, he did two or three songs and then disappeared...
User avatar
qualude
All-City
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:00 am
Location: The County of Kings

Postby VAS123 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:12 am

i saw some hipster and some heavy rock~and~roll shows at CBGBs. had alot of fun, good music, good energy - always packed.
but 4$ pbr cans! come on! no wonder they went out of business ;)

thats my input. i ride by CBGBs everyday on my way to the Brooklyn Banks. it was always fun to look at the crowd outside - take a shower and pull up your girl pants, u dang punks! :)

i'll miss it in my own special way.
i like bike
User avatar
VAS123
Kingpin
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: BROOKLYN, NYC


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron