H-Balls rant on mountainbike.com

NorthEast specific chat

Moderators: Taz, Fool

H-Balls rant on mountainbike.com

Postby bkeguy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 pm

Former world champ, Greg "H-Ball" Herbold has a good rant posted on mountainbike.com about the trails at Diablo, check it out! :D
bkeguy
Toy

Postby isabbisr » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:12 pm

link?
isabbisr
FRONJ

Link

Postby dhsean » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:26 am

http://mbword.mountainbike.com/2007/06/easy_rider.html

He has some good points but I think he missed that there are some easier trails already and I think the sign system is better than most parks. Perhaps a top to bottom beginner trail is needed instead of seeing beginners backup Alpine as they inch down the mountain.

I wouldn't call it a "rant" as much as constructive criticism.
dhsean
Burner

Re: Link

Postby rixpi » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:55 am

dhsean wrote:http://mbword.mountainbike.com/2007/06/easy_rider.html

He has some good points but I think he missed that there are some easier trails already and I think the sign system is better than most parks. Perhaps a top to bottom beginner trail is needed instead of seeing beginners backup Alpine as they inch down the mountain.

I wouldn't call it a "rant" as much as constructive criticism.

I have to disagree with you on this one. For first timers and people who can only make it a couple times a season the sign system doesnt really work. I ride there 4 times a year and have since they re opened and I still dont know where I am going half the time. although maybe better than some, but for a budding world class resort it leaves a lot of room for improvement.
I also see the need for more beginner and lower skilled trails. There need to be enough riding area to keep newbies to the sport happy for an entire day of riding. They are the future of any resort. There needs to be plenty of runs long and short for all skill levels.

H ball made some valid points of things he liked and things to consider to ensure the longevity of the sport and the park.
High school girls, every year I get older, but they stay the same age, ya gott love that!!!
rixpi
Burner

Postby Aceman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:50 am

I think the best way to do it is to lower the cost of rentals. Here's why...

Newbies aren't going to like "DH" if it's only done on their XC bikes because it's not really "DH" as we know it.

When I tell my buddies to give it a try, they say they'd love to. I always recomend renting to give it a try instead of "trying to take your XC bike on DH courses". But who wants to blow $90 + lift ticket on a one day rental + use smelly rental padding?

It's either $115 per day or $2G's at minimum invested...

You need to get people there first. Then get them hooked. The price turns people away in the first place. Not the terrain.

Aceman
Extrememtbr69 "im mot stupid..."
Aceman
All-City

Re: H-Balls rant on mountainbike.com

Postby spinteck » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:54 pm

Greg Whobold?? Sorry kids, I wouldn't reccommend wasting your time reading any of his out-dated opinions.

Sorry Bkeguy or Greg, I don't blame you for clawing your way back for attention by bashing one of the only east coast mountains catering to downhilling, but I gave you too much respect decades ago when you had the power and image to actually help at the grass roots level. What did you do that was selfless and good for the sport......without getting paid??

Nice marketing formula in your article: Me, me, me,........I'm an authority on mountains and this one needs improvement...........did i mention my product placement sponsor SRAM, I mean rockshox??

Where were your beginner ideas when you could literally shape mountains?? You're a day late and a dollar short, but at least you have a nice ranch in Colorado and a "hot wife".

Nat Bartholomew
spinteck
All-City

Postby Pain » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:56 pm

The mountain is awsome for beginners... I was doing all hardest trails on my first day at Diablo, yes even ripper
Pain
Burner

Postby EM-EFER » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:50 am

One thing I agree on is putting a pad on the lifts.

Black flys didnt bother me.

Wood sculptures rule.

Trails are marked better then most but still needs better marking just like most mountains.
Elevate Cycles
Maxxis
SRAM
EM-EFER
Tagger

Postby Jase » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Why is he saying that it isn't good for beginners?Did his old ass walk every trails to see what was on them I don't think so.He is a West coaster so he's going to belittle the place.He's only been there once so how does what comes out his mouth matter to anyone.Every one knows what's at Creek and I think there's more than enough stuff there for beginner's.If he didn't like it so much next year's Open he should not even come.
Jase
Burner

Postby Andyman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Did anyone tell him about Alpine?? How about the trail (blue trail) left of dominion?? Would the fire road be considered a beginner trail?? Diablo is fine doing what they do, Plattekill is fine, Whiteface is fine, Killington is fine...looks like the East Coast has it going on for Downhillin'. All of these are within 6 hours of each other, that's one riding location out west, then another 6 hours to the next spot..EAST COAST Riding rocks, roots and rolls
we must each row with the oars we have
Andyman
Burner

Postby tonypaj » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:06 pm

[quote="spinteck"]Greg Whobold?? Sorry kids, I wouldn't reccommend wasting your time reading any of his out-dated opinions.

Sorry Bkeguy or Greg, I don't blame you for clawing your way back for attention by bashing one of the only east coast mountains catering to downhilling, but I gave you too much respect decades ago when you had the power and image to actually help at the grass roots level. What did you do that was selfless and good for the sport......without getting paid??

Nice marketing formula in your article: Me, me, me,........I'm an authority on mountains and this one needs improvement...........did i mention my product placement sponsor SRAM, I mean rockshox??

Where were your beginner ideas when you could literally shape mountains?? You're a day late and a dollar short, but at least you have a nice ranch in Colorado and a "hot wife".

You are 100% right on the money. Big Guy back in the day when the sport had sponsor backing. I went out to Durango for a nation that the H-baller was in charge of. He actually completed the ds course the day of the race. What a effort he put out. Quality course to. :roll: That was one of many reasons the national series went south.

Shut your mouth h-baller if you had a problem talk to the mtn. It takes a big man to go on line and start shit. That's what your trying to do right.

d*ck
tonypaj
Burner

Postby joecool » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:59 pm

That's why it is called "Diablo Freeride Park", not "Diablo XC Park".
Its very simple. Hboll is a freakin loser. Go plug Rock sux somewhere else you prick. Pompass piece of shit. Stay out west fag.
-Cool.
joecool
Burner

Postby ROB_BMW » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:08 am

ROB_BMW
Burner

Return to Northeast