Glen Park Alert !!

NorthEast specific chat

Moderators: Taz, Fool

Glen Park Alert !!

Postby Dangerous » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Greetings, little incident on friday with the cops here at the glen. I'll paint the scenario. A few of us that have ridden here for many years, got to the top to find somebody dumping skids and wood right off the road. Nobody was familiar with the dude or his truck. One of us went over to say hello and the dude seemed cool. in the meantime we unload the bikes as the the dude pulled off. Just as myself and a fello DH' r are about to hit the trail a cop beeps at us a calls us back to his car. First words were " can't ride here." as myself and Jim D. were somewhat suprised we talked to the officer for about 10 minutes and in the end he said he wouldn't tell us not to ride. However!! After talking with the officer a bit longer he let us know that Tony, the guy across the street that owns alot of the land called in someone for dumping. Bada- Bing Bada-Bam next thing you know were getting asked to leave.
This is the deal here so ya'll hopefully understand. PPL owns almost all the property along with big Tony and a little bit is actually Glen Park. Glen Park is really a baseball field with some land on the hill. At the same time people hunt there and even worse its accessed by quads and so on. PPL wants everybody out after a serious injury on a quad this past year. Tony dosn't even want to see a squirrel on his property. Glen Park is O.K. for mountain bikes and hiking. Nobody wants to say people can't ride here. However, there are kinda of rules for this place not to mention I always thought there were kind of bi-laws to freeriding and DHing off resort mountains. At least when I started riding not to long ago, that was the way it was. Keep it on the DL and don't be a dumb ass. For as long as I've been aware there are always trails being shut down. It would really suck for alot of people if that were to happen at the Glen.
So for those of you that don't know. If you know this spot it's now " hike and bike " from the bottom. No more parking at the top !! Frankly I don't give a shit, but if you would like a ticket for tresspassing or maybe even getting your bike impounded, go for it. The trails are really easy to get to if you know the trailhead in the bottom parking lot.

This is friendly but serious message. I'm convinced there are alot of " newer " riderz out there. Not just here but all over the northeast. This isn't the wild west. Another words, this is a small sport with unfortunately, not to many places to ride. Even if you can, usually its cross country. Alot of places are usually railroad property, electric property, or private property. For the last decade alot of vertical trails have been hidden. Some of ya'll may havce seen my recents posts. This is the reason why. It sucks but lifes a bitch !! So if you know someone isn't aware of the way some of this shit works spread the word and be cool about it. PEACEOUT !! :steamed:
Dangerous
Bomber

Re: Glen Park Alert !!

Postby ROB_BMW » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:31 am

So basically you guys are being harrassed because some douchebag is dumping stuff by the property owners house. The dumper needs to get dumped in a ditch somewhere. I know how it is in PA with land owners so yall should be careful riding there. I still haven't made it to GP yet but hope you can continue to access those crutial trails. I'm working on getting some legal trails in World's End ,PA. Friends of my family own 1000's of acres of prime rocky dh real estate. I'm going out to scout some terrain in a couple weeks and will post some pics of my findings. Sooo tired of these land disputes, if we have private property the riding will be the main focus instead of look out for the cops! I'm also looking to rent a bobcat for all construction, instead of back breaking shovel work. I'm looking into some other private property in Westchester NY for trail building. Basically a dj area surrounded by freeride stunts like Santos FL. I can't work with Nazi trail boss controll freaks and tired of getting my stuff plowed in BK. Time to flex some muscle and get private land for my riding addiction.
ROB_BMW
Burner

Postby MxPw17_RR » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Tony is no joke... if there is one guy that will put a stop to the Glenn trails its that dude. I've ridden many spots and Glenn park is by far my favorite to session. If the deal is no more shuttling than that sucks but its a small price to pay to ride some gnarly trails. Im headed back to that region in a month and my main focus is to ride the Glenn.... this place has been a riding area for ever, it would be a shame to see an end to all of this hard work.
MxPw17_RR
Burner

Postby skeldon15 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:13 pm

yea i was riding there probally 3 years ago and i think its the same guy..(fat ass) is the one that bitched at us and threatend to put "thousands of pounds of nails" in the trail that we were riding which is pretty fu**ed up is u ask me..a warning would of been a better route to go..but def some nice shit up there and would hate to see it go away since i like 10 minutes from there.
skeldon15
Burner

Postby Dangerous » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:22 pm

Just in defense of Tony he not all that bad. Yeah, he' s a fat hillbilly but this is Pennsyltucky. He' really more pissed about all the quads ripping all week long in his front yard. Bottom line is he's there, so you gotta play the game. Be cool with big T, give him a little respect along with the other heat and things should hopefully be alright. The place has definately grown, as far as, all different types of riders. This is the biggest influence in the recent occurence. Jr. the dubs had a baby and she' big !
Dangerous
Bomber

Postby MxPw17_RR » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:11 am

You know shits goin down US open week for sure.
MxPw17_RR
Burner

Postby Jase » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:32 pm

Did anyone know who it was and where he was from.THis is why people shouldn't invite people to the trails when they don't know about parking next to the gates and the neighbor.Now every time theres a car or truck going up there the cops will be called.Now that really sucks you only get so many runs in when you shuttle know you have to hike and bike that's going to be even worse.Oh well thats the price you have to pay when it comes to telling people.Just think of all the cardio you'll get from pushing the dh bikes up to ride
Jase
Burner

Postby MxPw17_RR » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Theres nothing you can do about new riders and word spreading within the community... just to get the issues cleared up for all these people is the importiant part. Maybe we can park in the old hotel? or spca? instead of right at the gate... one of the great features of this place is the super easy shuttle to the top.
MxPw17_RR
Burner

Postby shuttle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:55 pm

douche bags,

this is what happens when you advertise your trails in on-line forums. I know,,,, we all want the praise and affirmation of our mtb community when we build cool stuff, but the inevitable attention and popularity will have negative consequences. you don't have to be a trail cock blocker but certainly be more discreet and DL about "unauthorized" trails.

What the PA crew has accomplished there is really great...and it would be a real shame if these ingots with the pallets F'd it up.

I would advise to let Glen Park cool down for a while...stop shuttling there for a while and for god sakes stop blabbing about it online...same goes for skyline, and Trumbull, and Sprain and Graham, and Saxon, plainview, etc.

Be more like Surfers. Surfers never blow up a good break. Locals invite their trusted friends, their friends reciprocate and everyone keeps it small. Bigger is not better...especially not bigger crowds of riders on already questionable land.
shuttle
Toy

Postby Dangerous » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Rock on, i've been trying to get this across for a while now. Definately don't want to be a trail blocker because i don't own the land, so there is something to remember there. however, i just hate to see such a good thing get ruined.
This is why we say " hike and bike " for now until things chill. All we can hope for is that riders see or hear thru the grapevine what the dealio is before they ride here. The glen won't go away, but the conveince of shuttling will for a while. It's nice to see people do " get it. " Part of me is ashamed to try and keep people out but in the long run its for the best. At the same time its not really anyone's fault. The truth is, the sports growing and people hear sooner or later the dope places to ride.
So for now pedal uphill, its makes you faster ! :possesed:
Dangerous
Bomber

Postby madmavic » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am

sorry to hear that dan. heard good things about the spot, too bad. i hear its popularity has risen for the bad. your always welcome to my mini park at the wiss side.
madmavic
Tagger

Postby El_Sp1c » Fri May 04, 2007 12:21 pm

Met the guy when i lived out east, he didnt seem too bad.

What that cop needs to do is get rid of the tent people that live there
El_Sp1c
Burner

Return to Northeast